Pasta & Vegetable Gratin
350 g aubergine - roughly chopped
2 small courgettes - sliced thinly
1 onion - chopped
1 garlic clove - minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp tomato paste
400 g can chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup water
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
250 g rigatoni or penne pasta
1 Tbsp pesto
150 g [1 1/2 cups] mature cheddar or Gruyere cheese
2-3 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add paprika and tomato paste, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the aubergine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and water. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer under cover for about 15 mins.
- Add the sliced courgette and cook for about 5 mins or until vegetables are done. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions, drain and toss with the pesto sauce.
- Toss pasta in the vegetable sauce and transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheeses on top.
- Bake at 200°C/fan 180°C/400°F for 20 minutes or until cheese on top in melted and golden brown.