I never knew that making pilau rice is so easy. Probably the only thing hard about it is assembling the myriad spices you need. Pilau rice, if you must know, is the spiced fragrant rice accompanying Indian dishes. There so many variations of it much depending on how colourful or how much spices you want in it.
I love how easy it is to cook this resulting in fluffy and soft fragrant rice. Highly recommended!
250 g [1-1/3 cups] basmati rice
2 2/3 cups water
1 Tbsp ghee or cooking oil
1 small onion - finely chopped
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 cinnamon stick - halved lengthwise
2 cardamon seeds - squashed open
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 bay leaves
- Wash and drain the rice several times with cold water then soak for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, heat the oil and saute the onion in medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the rest of the spices until fragrant.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add the rice to the saucepan and stir to coat with the sauteed spices and oil.
- Add the water, stir, cover saucepan and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep covered and leave to steam for 15 minutes.
- Fluff up the rice with fork and serve while hot.