Here's one recipe that I adapted from Ken Hom's Hot Wok that I use when I have excess spinach from the usual sinigang. The other stir-fry spinach recipe that I blogged here also have garlic although it's not as fried crisp as these. I love the crunch of the garlic in contrast with the soft spinach besides the utter simplicity of the cooking and the ingredients themselves.
Spinach with Fried Garlic
750 g fresh spinach - washed and drained well
1 1/2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp thinly sliced garlic
1 tsp sea salt
pinch of sugar
- Heat oil gently in a wok. Add in the salt and garlic. Fry on low heat until garlic is golden and crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Heat the oil again this time on high heat until it is smoking.
- Tip in the spinach and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add a pinch of sugar. Stir-fry for a further 3-4 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Remove and dish up. Scatter fried garlic on top. Serve immediately.