I wanted some gulay (vegetables) to go with the meat dish we have that night. But at the time our fridge was not exactly heaving with veggies in fact all we got was some leftover iceberg lettuce. I didn't want to munch on cold salad *again* so stir frying seems to be the way to go. Huang Su-Huei's Chinese Cuisine cookbook gave me the base recipe to adapt for this dish.
Stir Fried Iceberg Lettuce
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp dried shrimps (hibe)
1/2 tsp salt
freshly milled black pepper
1 cup stock
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 green onion - cut into 1-inch pieces
500 g iceberg lettuce - wash and torn into large pieces
- Mix stock, salt, black pepper, cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Soak dried shrimps for 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok until smoking hot. Stir fry green onions until aromatic.
- Add shrimps, cook for about half a minute; then add lettuce and cook in high heat until limp.
- Add stock mixture and cook until thick. Serve.