1 x 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp double-concentrated tomato puree (tomato paste)
150 g chopped pancetta or smoked bacon
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 small onion - chopped
1/8 tsp dried chilli flakes (or to taste)
2 Tbsp finely minced fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper
grated parmesan cheese
300 g dried spaghetti
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Fry pancetta in medium heat until brown.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Tip in the garlic and chilli flakes. Stir and cook for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley in the sauce and cook for another minute. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook spaghetti in boiling water until 'al dente' (about 11-12 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Add cooked spaghetti to the pan and mix until well covered evenly by the sauce. Serve onto serving bowls and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
Note: You may also serve it with the sauce on top of the pasta as seen in the photo above.