Monday 31 January 2005

Stel's Wings

Finally, I had the chance to try my friend Stel's chicken wings recipe. I've got the wings, ingredients (well most of it), and a little time to put it all together. Like most busy mums (also lazy is the word), what attracts me most to recipes are first - taste and second - ease of cooking. This certainly fits the bill since all you have to do is marinate it and then tip it all to a baking pan, stick in an oven and wait while inhaling the heady aroma it exudes.

First of all, I only have 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) of chicken wings so I had to halve the recipe. I didn't have the Dijon mustard called for and only had whole grain mustard. No Knorr or Maggi seasoning either so I used Worcestershire (wus-tuh-shir) sauce. I reduced the oil and gone a little wimpy on the mustard - used only 3 Tbsp but after tasting it I think I could go all the way to 1/4 cup. Other than that everything is the same as in the original recipe. And it was super! Vedy vedy nice, indeed. To think that I only marinated it for 1 hour. Even our Brit friend Mark who was chatting with us in the kitchen was very impressed and demanded the recipe. So impressed were we while munching that I completely forgot to take pictures until there were only 4 pieces left! Thanks ever Stel for sharing this.


Honey Mustard Chicken Wings

1 kg  chicken wings
1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp Knorr/Maggi seasoning or Worcestershire sauce
  1. Cut and separate the chicken wings at the joint. Discard wing tips or use for chicken stock.
  2. Mix all ingredients well (except wings) in a bowl or container. Marinate chicken wings in this mixture for at least 3 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C/fan 190°C. Put the chicken wings and marinade in a wide non stick baking pan (or line it with foil). Make sure the pan is wide enough so that the wings are not crowding together. This is to be certain that the marinade and juices will dry out together with the cooking of the wings. Otherwise after 45 minutes you will have cooked wings but no gooey, rich, tasty glaze on it.
  4. Bake in oven for about 40-45 minutes while turning occassionally. Dish up and serve.

No comments: