1 kg chicken - cut into serving sizes
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black peppercorns - lightly cracked with mortar and pestle
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 medium onion - chopped
oil for frying
500 g passata (tomato sauce)
1/4 cup coarse grained liver pate (or mashed cooked liver or 85gm can of liver spread)
125 g chorizo - chopped into 1/2-inch slices [optional]
1/2 bell pepper - seeded and sliced
1 green or red fresh chilli [optional]
hot chilli sauce (or Tabasco)
1/3 cup bottled olives - drained [optional]
1/3 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
250 g potatoes - peeled and quartered
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Mix vinegar, salt, garlic, and peppercorns in a bowl. Add chicken pieces, mix well. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
- In a big pot, heat oil for frying. Drain chicken from marinade and brown briefly in the oil in batches. Set aside.
- Remove oil from the pot but leave about 2 Tbsp. Heat up again and saute the onion on medium heat until soft and translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Scoop out the garlic and peppercorns from the marinade and add to the onion. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the browned chicken, stir for a minute.
- Add the rest of the marinade, stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the passata and bell pepper. Bring to boil then turn down the heat.
- Add the chorizo and fresh chilli (if using). Simmer until meat is almost done.
- Stir in the liver pate and mix well to combine.
- Add potatoes and peas. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add grated cheese, mix well until cheese has melted.
- Taste sauce and correct seasonings adding hot chilli sauce if preferred.
- Add olives just before removing from heat. Serve warm.