Sunday 1 September 2019

Chicken With Cashews

Chicken with Cashews

I love nuts and its but natural to have them as often as I can even among savoury food. One staple Chinese take away dish that I really enjoy is the stir-fried chicken with cashews. I found this recipe in my trusted Chinese Cuisine by Huang Su-Huei and decided to give it a go. It is quite good if I may say so myself although I think I would increase the sauce to double it the next time.


Chicken with Cashews

500 g boneless chicken meat - cut into bite-sized pieces
2 green onions - cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup diced cucumbers
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 cup fried cashews

*Marinade:
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 Tbsp cooking wine

1 1/2 Tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
1 1/2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp cooking oil

*Sauce:
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp sugar
dash of black pepper
dash of sesame oil
6 Tbsp water
2 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
  1. Combine the sauce mixture and stir to dissolve the salt and water. Set aside.
  2. Combine marinade and stir to dissolve the salt. Add chicken and marinate for about 15-20 minutes.
  3. Add in the cornflour, water, and 1 Tbsp cooking oil to separate the meat.
  4. Heat the 1/2 cup cooking oil in a wok and fry the chicken in medium heat for about 3-4 minutes or until cooked and golden brown. Set aside.
  5. Remove the oil from the wok but retain about 1 Tbsp in it. Reheat and stir fry the green onions until aromatic.
  6. Add in the cucumbers and stir fry for about 1 minute.
  7. Stir in the chicken and cashews and stir for a few seconds.
  8. Add the sauce and stir until thick and covers all the ingredients. Dish up and serve.

No comments: