Here's one buttery cake recipe that I bake as an alternative to Victoria sponge. Usually this gets made when there's an excess or about to expire sour cream. Highly recommended for its fluffiness and scrumptiousness. I found this recipe that I adapted from the Food Network as part of Paula Deen's recipe collection there. It really is very good.
Sour Cream Pound Cake
125 g [1/2 cup] butter - softened
300 g [1 1/2 cups] white sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix the flour and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream/beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture, mix well. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 mins - 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.