I wanted to make something to take to a family friend who recently had a spell in the hospital after an operation. He's been recovering well at his home for several weeks and I just wanted to give him a treat while at the same time not increasing his sugar and cholesterol level. Thank goodness the March 2006 BBC Good Food Magazine just went thru our letter box and contained this recipe which I think is quite wholesome. It is certainly not sweet and quite moist inside because of the fresh bananas and blueberries.
Low-fat Banana & Blueberry Muffins
300 g self-raising flour
50 g porridge oats plus 1 Tbsp for topping
100 g [2/3 cup] light muscovado sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2 medium bananas - mashed (about 1 cup)
284 ml buttermilk
5 Tbsp olive oil
2 egg whites - slightly beaten
150 g fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper muffin cases.
- Reserve 1 Tbsp of the muscovado sugar. Mix the rest of it with the flour and 50 gm oats.
- In another bowl, mix the egg whites, oil, and mashed bananas until well combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and quickly stir and fold until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Add the blueberries and give it a few stirs.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Sprinkle the 1 Tbsp oats and 1 Tbsp muscovado sugar on top.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes in the pan then remove and cool completely.