Time to come back to one of my favourite food - seafood! I especially love them cooked simply. There's a toss up between grilled, steamed or stir fried on my preferred cooking method for it. But since the prawns I have are frozen, I thought grilling and steaming would not be appropriate so out came this recipe which I adapted from Huang Su-Huei's Chinese Cuisine cookbook. It was very yummy that I was able to finish it all by myself!
Stir-fried Shrimps With Vegetables
250 g raw shrimps or prawns - peeled and deveined
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cooking wine
1/2 egg white - slightly beaten
3/4 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup oil
2 Tbsp water
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup onion - roughly chopped
1/4 cup diced button mushrooms
1/4 cup green peas
2 Tbsp water
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp cornstarch
dash of sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the sauce first - in a bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients, stirring to dissolve the salt and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In another bowl, dissolve the salt in the cooking wine. Mix this with the shrimps.
- Add in the egg whites, mix well.
- Then the cornstarch, mix well again. Set aside and marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to the shrimp mixture and mix well (to make it separate easily).
- Heat wok and the oil in medium heat.
- Fry the shrimps in the wok until just cooked and changes colour (about 3 minutes). Remove and drain on absorbent paper towels.
- Remove the oil from wok but retain 2 Tbsp in it. Heat the wok again.
- Stir fry the onion until fragrant.
- Mix in the carrots, mushrooms, and green peas. Stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the water and cook in medium heat until the liquid has completely evaporated and the vegetables are cooked. If it dries up too easily, add more water but only a little at a time.
- Turn up heat to high and add the fried shrimps. Stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sauce mixture and stir fry quickly to mix. Remove from wok onto a platter and serve.