Suggested potato varieties to use are those of the 'baking' type. Usually in supermarkets they have labels on the shelf or the package saying if it is baking potato. Here in UK the more popular ones are King Edward, Maris Piper, and Desiree. You would want your potato to be floury to give you that fluffy inside once you slit the skin and opened it straight from the oven.
ground sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/375°F.
- Pierce potatoes all over with fork.
- [Optional] Put one or two drops of oil on the skin and spread it all around. This will make the skin very crispy.
- [Optional] Sprinkle (or roll) the oiled potato with a little salt.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or once a knife or skewer can be easily pushed in the middle of the potato.
- Take out of the oven and make 2 slits on top made in a cross fashion. Push gently from the sides to open up the cross. Fluff the potato a little and top with butter (optional) and topping of choice.