Friday 3 September 2004

Fish!

Spicy Fish Fillet
I got half kilo of haddock fillet from ASDA (a local supermarket) at half price! You know me I can't resist a bargain especially one that we really like. So off I go and try to make a good satisfying dish out of it. This recipe is from the book Chinese Cooking for Beginners by Huang Su-Huei. It is one of my favourite cookbooks and you can see the evidence from the worn out look of it.
Despite the name of the dish it is not spicy hot - just a little bit very mild actually. The recipe calls for 300 gm of fish but I got double that so I doubled the measurements. It turned out there was too much sauce as you can see from the picture. So if you try this and have 500 - 600 gm fish just do a 1 1/2 of the recipe not double. But then again if you like the sauce it wouldn't be a problem, isn't it?
I only pan fried the fish instead of deep frying as stated in the book. I asked the hubster to take over the frying and he ended up not dipping it in the batter. He fried almost half of it with no batter! Haay naku ! Anyways it's a good thing it still tasted good.



Spicy Fish Fillet

2/3 lb  (300 g) fish fillet
2 Tbsp oil

*Marinade:
1/2 Tbsp cooking wine
1/3 tsp salt

*Light batter:
1 egg
4 Tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)
3 Tbsp water

*Mixture 1:
1 1/2 Tbsp chopped green onions
1 Tbsp chopped ginger root
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic clove

*Mixture 2:
1 Tbsp cooking wine
3 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp hot chilli paste

*Mixture 3:
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp salt
  1. If the fish meat is thick, slice it lengthwise. Cut the fish meat into small steaks or fillets (about 1 1/2 inches x 1 inch).
  2. Add marinade, and set aside for 20 minutes.
  3. Mix light batter mixture and set aside.
  4. Heat the wok then add oil.
  5. Dredge the fish in the batter mix.
  6. Deep-fry (or pan fry) the fish over medium heat for 3 minutes or until the fish is thoroughly cooked and the outside is crispy. Transfer to a serving platter.
  7. Remove the oil from the wok.
  8. Reheat the wok then add 2 tbsp. oil.
  9. Stir-fry mixture 1 until fragrant.
  10. Add Mixture 2 and stir-fry for a few seconds.
  11. Add Mixture 3, bring to a boil then pour over the fish. Serve.

6 comments:

purplegirl said...

london is one of my favorite cities, in fact, i've been there several times. is it just me or is english food really bland? as in sobrang tabang. even the chinese food! but i love your full english breakfast. i can eat that all day long. oh, and the tomato and brie baguette which i used to sneak into the states. the dogs at the customs inspection never seem to detect it -- every time!

http://lolaskitchen.blogspot.com

celia kusinera said...

Hi Purplegirl,

Thanks for visiting. I also visit your site (Kitchen ni Lola) whenever you have something new there. And yes general food here in London is bland. Buti nga nagugustuhan na nila ang Indian curry ngayon. My hubby likes the full English brekkie but not me. I get too full with it. I just peeked in your site and you just reminded me of one of my favourites - macaroni salad! We always had it in Pinas during the new year ewan ko kung bakit?!

Manang said...

Hi Celia,
wanted to let you know your other site won't accept comments (URL could not be found daw).
I wanted to say Gary V's one of my favorite Pinoy singers. Galing eh. Inggit ako tuloy sa yo.

ting-aling said...

Got here thru Sassy. 'will definitely visit you more often. visit mine at www.kuwentong-buhay.blogspot.com. Ciao

Unknown said...

wow that looks good. sarap!

celia kusinera said...

hi umaga and ting-aling: thanks for dropping by. Looked at your blogs, they were great.

Manang: you can comment now it's fixed. Maybe I was editing it at the time.

cheers!