It's that time again when I'm cleaning up my kitchen cupboards and found packets of half-used ingredients about to expire in the coming days or weeks. So the current mode is find recipes for these ingredients instead of the other way around. As expected from a nut lover like me, there are several unopened bags of pecans expiring this month. And first thing I thought of is this great recipe that I found from Epicurious, which I discovered by way of a waldorf salad recipe in the same website. I ended up keeping the moreish 'budbud' or garnish instead of the salad.
This is great munched with cold alcoholic drinks or whichever drink you fancy. I have to warn you hide it where no other member of the family can find it or there won't be anything left to serve. :) Now where is my cold beer? Hand me over that Corona will 'ya?
Happy New Year !!
Sweet Spicy Pecans
3 Tbsp golden syrup or light corn syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp ground sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Mix syrup, sugar, and spices in a bowl.
- Add pecans into it and stir to combine well.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Place large piece of foil on work surface. Lightly oil it.
- Bake pecans in oven for 5 minutes. Stir pecans to coat with melted spice mixture.
- Continue baking pecans until golden and bubbling for about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to prepared foil on the work surface.
- Using 2 forks, immediately separate nuts while hot. It will be hard to do this once it starts to cool down so make sure to work quickly while doing so.
- Cool completely.