Adapted from BBC GoodFood Magazine's 101 Cakes & Bakes.
Banana Nut Brownies
175 g butter - cut into pieces
300 g [1 2/3 cups firmly packed] light muscovado sugar
150 g dark chocolate - broken into pieces
100 g [3/4 cup] nuts - chopped
3 eggs - beaten
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
100 g [3/4 cup] self-raising flour
1 Tbsp cocoa powder [optional]
1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/350F/gas mark 4. Butter and line a 7 x 11-inch baking pan with greaseproof paper.
- Melt butter, chocolate, and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat.
- Sift flour, cocoa [optional], and baking powder in a separate bowl. Mix well.
- Add in nuts, mashed banana, and eggs to the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture to the chocolate-banana mixture.
- Pour batter into the lined baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until firm in the centre.
- Cool in the pan; turn out and cut into squares.
*Update 26/05/07: Reduced chocolate from 175 gm to 150 gm. Reduced baking powder from 1 tsp to 1/2 tsp. Increased baking time from 35 mins. to 40 mins.