spicy fish fillet
I got half kilo of haddock fillet from ASDA (a local supermarket) at half price! You know me I can't resist a bargain especially one that we really like. So off I go and try to make a good satisfying dish out of it. This recipe is from the book Chinese Cooking for Beginners by Huang Su-Huei. It is one of my favourite cookbooks and you can see the evidence from the worn out look of it.
Despite the name of the dish it is not spicy hot - just a little bit very mild actually. The recipe calls for 300 gm of fish but I got double that so I doubled the measurements. It turned out there was too much sauce as you can see from the picture. So if you try this and have 500 - 600 gm fish just do a 1 1/2 of the recipe not double. But then again if you like the sauce it wouldn't be a problem, isn't it?
I only pan fried the fish instead of deep frying as stated in the book. I asked the hubster to take over the frying and he ended up not dipping it in the batter. He fried almost half of it with no batter! Haay naku ! Anyways it's a good thing it still tasted good.
Spicy Fish Fillet
2/3 lb. (300 gm) fish fillet
2 Tbsp. oil
1/2 Tbsp. cooking wine
1/3 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. cornstarch (cornflour)
3 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 Tbsp. green onions - chopped
1 Tbsp. ginger root - chopped
1/2 Tbsp. garlic clove - minced
1 Tbsp. cooking wine
3 Tbsp. ketchup
1 tsp. hot chilli paste
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. salt
- If the fish meat is thick, slice it lengthwise. Cut the fish meat into small steaks or fillets (about 1 1/2 inches x 1 inch).
- Add marinade, and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Mix light batter mixture and set aside.
- Heat the wok then add oil.
- Dredge the fish in the batter mix.
- Deep-fry (or pan fry) the fish over medium heat for 3 minutes or until the fish is thoroughly cooked and the outside is crispy. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Remove the oil from the wok.
- Reheat the wok then add 2 tbsp. oil.
- Stir-fry mixture 1 until fragrant.
- Add Mixture 2 and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add Mixture 3, bring to a boil then pour over the fish. Serve.