This is a very easy salad to put together and with very few ingredients as well. Often times I have this with fried anything as a foil from the grease and fat. I find it very refreshing also with roasted or barbecued meat dishes.
This is adapted from the NHK channel's Rika's Tokyo Cuisine recipe. We as a family actually enjoy watching NHK's offerings especially when it comes to their food shows. You should see us drooling, ooh-ing and aah-ing at every dish we fancy. Armchair foodies we definitely are. :)
Cabbage Apple Slaw
1/4 head [about 250 g] cabbage
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp lemon juice
lemon zest (optional)
1/4 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Finely shred the cabbage and apple (with a knife or mandolin) and put separately into different bowls.
- Add the salt and pepper into the shredded cabbage and gently work into the cabbage until it softens.
- Add the shredded apple, lemon juice, and lemon jest. Mix well.
- Combine the sugar and mayonnaise. Add to the cabbage and apple mixture and mix well to coat the veggies.
- Serve cold or room temperature.