Trust my youngest daughter to come up with a baking challenge for me. She said she needs 5 cupcakes to take to school for their Christmas party. But one of her classmates is allergic to eggs, nuts, and peas (she spelled it as 'pees' hahaha!). So I have to find a suitable cupcake recipe that is not only eggless but nutless as well (I seem to remember someone like that - hehehe!).
I remembered reading something about the celebrity chef Giorgio Locatelli concocting all sort of non-allergenic recipes for his daughter who is suffering from allergies to a number of food stuff. Thankfully Google yielded his recipe for an eggless and nutless chocolate cake. I just adapted it to cupcake sizes and reduced the baking time.
It came out quite nice actually in a non-rich cake sort of way. I baked it the night before my daughter was about to take it to school. Come morning I took a bite of one and realised that it was not sweet enough and needed a sugar boost. So the next few minutes saw me frantically beating a chocolate icing worthy enough of this recipe. It was really hectic. My daughter was almost out of the door and I was still desperately trying to smear icing on the cupcakes!
Thank goodness the feedback from her classmates were quite positive. In fact, the teachers asked for some as well.
Eggless & Nutless Chocolate Cupcakes
450 gm plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
300 gm caster sugar
300 ml [scant 1 1/4 cups] water
2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
125 ml [1/2 cup] vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
* Chocolate Icing:
1/2 cup unsalted or slightly salted butter - softened to room temperature
1 1/3 cups icing sugar (confectioner's)
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup double cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl.
- Sift the dry ingredients into another bowl.
- Slowly add the wet to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Pour into lined cupcake/muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or a skewer poked in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely in wire racks.
- Add chocolate icing on top.
* For the icing:
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder onto the softened butter in a bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Add the double cream and vanilla. Beat until well mixed.
- Pipe or swirl on top of cupcakes.