Here's one of my favourite dishes. Whenever I spied some fresh fish fillets (especially if it's on sale) I almost always end up cooking this. The saltiness of the tausi (black beans) contrast well with the crunch and slight tartness of the green bell pepper leaving you with a good finish in the mouth. This is especially good with plain hot steamed rice.
This is adapted from the Chinese Cooking for Beginners by Huang Su-Huei. I used a non-stick pan to pan-fry the fillets because I have had bad memories of having shredded fish due to it sticking to the wok. :( Also do not overcook the fish (fry only for about 3 minutes tops) because if you do, by the time you put it in the wok for the final stir it will disintegrate before your every eyes.
Stir-fried Fish with Black Beans
500 gm fish fillet
oil for pan-frying
2 Tbsp oil for stir frying
1 cup roughly chopped onions
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
2 Tbsp tausi (dry fermented black beans)
1 cup roughly chopped green bell pepper
1 tsp rice wine
1/2 cup water
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Combine the water, 2 tsp cornstarch, sugar, and sea salt in a bowl. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Set aside.
- Put marinade in a bowl, mix until salt is dissolved. Set aside.
- Score fish fillets lightly in criss cross fashion then cut them into bite-sized pieces. Mix in with marinade and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat wok or non-stick pan with oil for frying. Fry fillets until it changes colour (about 3 minutes), turning it half-way through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- If you used a wok in frying the fillets, remove all the oil and wipe it clean.
- Put the 2 Tbsp oil in the wok and heat until smoking.
- Stir fry onions for a few seconds.
- Add garlic, ginger and tausi (fermented black beans); stir-fry until aromatic (it takes a few seconds only).
- Add the green bell pepper and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Stir in the fish and wine; stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the water mixture, bring to boil and toss lightly. Dish up and serve hot.